Well, we finally got to the days that we were looking forward to and dreading at the same time. I remember asking Mom how I was ever going to let Travis go on a mission when he was a tiny baby and she told me that I had to tell myself every day that I had to let him go. I have all this time (almost every day), but it did not make it any easier. I don't know how Mom and Dad did this four times! I was good and did not cry much at the MTC and there were no salt pillars in our family. Our Stake President told us that it would be easier when it was time to say goodbye if we just gave a hug and turned and walked away and did not look back. He told us each individually to make sure that we did that. Afterwards we talked and decided that we would not be like Lot's wife and that we would be obedient and not turn around and we did it even though it was hard, hard, hard!
Phil and I are still crying off and on but we are filled with joy that he is finally beginning to serve his mission. I would not have him anywhere else! I love when I get to watch my children choose the Lord and His plan and do right things. There is no greater joy that I have anywhere in my life. I am so grateful for the children that we were blessed with.
We scared our Stake President last night when Travis was set apart. We went to his office and he stepped out to take care of something and we started talking. We are all tender hearted and began to cry (every last one of us) and when he came back, he was surprised and worried a little. I think he thought that we were sad and upset, but we were just feeling joy and enjoying our time as a family. Our bishop was not worried, he has seen us all cry when the boys were ordained so he knew it was normal.
They gave Travis the neatest coin! It talks and shows about putting on the whole armor of God. It has our Stake name on it and the Stake President told Travis to take it with him and think about it every day. He told him that it belonged to the Stake President until the end of Travis' mission and the President said that he wanted a report of what Travis had done with the coin and of his mission when he came back and then the President would give the coin to Travis. He was holding it in his hand tightly and trying to be brave when I saw him last.
We updated his mission site with his MTC address and pictures of today. The address is www.missionsite.net/eldersorensen/main. Take a look. We have lots of pictures of the last few days (I completely forgot on Sunday) and his mission address is there too.
Thank you to everyone that came on Sunday. It was fun to see you all and to see your love and support for us. I know it was hard and expensive to travel, but it made a world of difference for us and especially Travis. Thank you Mom and Dad for the garden produce. Erin says that "It's AMAZINGLY delicious, especially the cucumbers." Mom, I still need the chocolate zucchini recipe. It is good and I have requests to make it already.
We love you all. All you moms give your kids a hug for me and remember that it won't be long until it is your turn so enjoy them while you can!
4 comments:
How exciting for your family! I bawled over sending Tyler to kindergarten, I can't imagine what it is like to send them on a mission. But it is all for the best and where he should be, Travis and Tyler. Lot of love to your family!!!
Congrats on making it through the day. I can't imagine the feeling. I bawled sending my best friend on a mission. Good luck to you guys and especially Travis.
I can't imagine but I will try to tell myself everyday to let them go. I still get teary when I think of Mikatie's first day of school.
Sorry we couldn't be there Sunday but you were in our thoughts and prayers.
I can't believe it finally happened...to me he is still that little boy I taught to say NOT after everything! What a great day for all of you. Thanks for sharing it with all of us so far away. We love you!
Post a Comment